FIFA bans former senior official for 7 years in bribery case

ZURICH — A former senior FIFA official who was a cooperating witness for American authorities after being indicted on corruption charges has been banned from soccer for seven years.

FIFA says its ethics judges took Rafael Salguero's cooperation into account when banning him for bribery. The charge typically leads to a life ban.

Salguero, who was a FIFA executive committee member for eight years until 2015, was also found guilty of "illegal reselling" of World Cup tickets.

FIFA says the Guatemalan official is also fined 100,000 Swiss francs ($99,500). He earned $300,000 plus expenses in his final year on FIFA's ruling committee.

Three months ago, Salguero was sentenced in Brooklyn federal court to the time he already served in prison.

His indictment was unsealed in December 2015. It was revealed in court Salguero had been under house arrest since 2016 while providing information to federal prosecutors.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

You may also like these

Diego Maradona's lawyer says ex-star fathered 3...

Mar 8, 2019

Diego Maradona's lawyer says that the former soccer star and current coach of Mexican club Dorados...

Messi to play for Argentina in Copa America,...

Mar 25, 2019

Lionel Messi will play for Argentina in the Copa America in June in Brazil, according to coach...

Australia aims to halt Syria's World Cup charge...

Oct 9, 2017

Australia aims to end Syria's World Cup charge in Sydney playoff

Australia coach's future uncertain ahead of...

Oct 11, 2017

Football Federation Australia says it is awaiting confirmation of dates for the Socceroos' matches...

After getting Australia to Russia, coach's future...

Nov 15, 2017

Ange Postecoglou ensured Australia qualified for the World Cup, yet the coach is not quite sure if...

Sign up now!