FIFA denies request from Chelsea to freeze transfer ban

Chelsea's Pedro Rodriguez reacts after missing a shot during the Europa League round of 16, first leg soccer match between Chelsea and Dynamo Kyiv at Stamford Bridge stadium in London, Thursday, March 7, 2019. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

FIFA says its appeals committee has denied a request from Chelsea to freeze a one-year transfer ban while the club challenges the punishment

GENEVA — Chelsea's request to freeze its one-year transfer ban while it challenges the punishment was rejected by FIFA on Friday.

The English club could now ask the Court of Arbitration for Sport to grant an interim ruling, which would allow players to be signed in the offseason.

Chelsea was banned from registering new players for two transfer periods — after this season and January 2020 — for breaking rules designed to protect teenage players. The club denies wrongdoing.

The FIFA disciplinary committee said last month that Chelsea violated rules in 29 cases. FIFA also imposed a fine of 600,000 Swiss francs ($600,000).

In previous similar cases involving top Spanish clubs, FIFA granted provisional measures which meant transfer bans were not enforced during the appeal process.

Barcelona successfully froze its April 2014 ban and used the offseason to sign a slew of players, including Luis Suarez from Liverpool.

Key players Ivan Rakitic and Marc-Andre ter Stegen also signed while the ban was on hold. They were joined by Thomas Vermaelen, Jeremy Mathieu and Claudio Bravo as Barcelona loaded up on talent ahead of being unable to register new players in 2015 after its full appeal against FIFA was lost at CAS.

Friday's ruling could mean there has been a change of philosophy at FIFA with new senior lawyers and a different appeals chairman.

Thomas Bodstrom, a former justice minister in Sweden who rejected Chelsea's request, joined soccer's governing body after cases involving Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid were decided.

FIFA prohibits international transfers on minors unless their families moved to a country for non-soccer reasons, or are close to the border of another nation. Exceptions within the European Union and European Economic Community allows the transfer of 16- to 18-year-old players if standards on education and living conditions are met.

Some of the Chelsea cases involved players under the age of 18 spending too much time on trial while not registered with England's soccer federation, which was also fined by FIFA.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

You may also like these

'The Game of the Century': Boca Juniors vs. River...

Nov 8, 2018

"The Game of the Century": Boca Juniors to face River Plate in the Copa Libertadores final

Diego Maradona's lawyer says ex-star fathered 3...

Mar 8, 2019

Diego Maradona's lawyer says that the former soccer star and current coach of Mexican club Dorados...

Australia coach's future uncertain ahead of...

Oct 11, 2017

Football Federation Australia says it is awaiting confirmation of dates for the Socceroos' matches...

Jedinak stars as Australia qualifies for 2018...

Nov 15, 2017

Mile Jedinak stepped up when it counted most, propelling Australia into next year's World Cup with...

New coach thinks Australia can survive World Cup...

Feb 1, 2018

New coach Bert van Marwijk is confident Australia can qualify from its World Cup group stage and...

Sign up now!